Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan Gets Waiver Ahead Of The Presidential Election

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Kabiru Turaki, says it has waived screening requirements for former President Goodluck Jonathan ahead of the party’s presidential primary.

Former Niger State governor, Babangida Aliyu, who represented former Vice President Namadi Sambo, chairman of the screening committee, said the party saw no need to screen Jonathan, given the positions he had previously held.

Aliyu said: “The party had already given a presidential aspirant a waiver from screening.  Like I said in the beginning, he was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, became president, so we didn’t see anything that needed screening.

“Therefore, the party had given him waiver. In other words, he has been declared and cleared as a candidate of the PDP for the presidential election, and that is former President Jonathan.”

Aliyu also announced that the PDP granted a waiver to its National Secretary, Taofeek Arapaja, a former deputy governor and ambassador.

“The other waiver is also for the former deputy governor and ambassador, and the secretary of the party, Amb. Taofeek Arapaja, who for many reasons, has to be in Ibadan, Oyo State to ensure that everything has gone well.  So we also declared him as been given a waiver by the party,’’ Aliyu said.

He said the screening committee had so far received aspirants from Taraba, Adamawa, Kano, Akwa Ibom and Delta states, adding that the exercise would continue for those yet to appear before the panel within the stipulated period.

“We are very happy that even those who have been attempting to kill the party cannot succeed, and the party will contest this election by the grace of God and by the constitution of Nigeria,” Aliyu added.

Asked whether Jonathan was the only presidential aspirant currently seeking the PDP ticket, Aliyu replied: “As far as I know, as far as of today, at this moment, yes, sir.”

Umar Sani, who served as senior special assistant on media and publicity to former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, said the former president had taken concrete steps signalling interest in the race.

“He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly,” Sani said during an appearance on Trust TV on Tuesday. According to him, ongoing crises within the PDP may have contributed to Jonathan’s cautious approach towards formally declaring his ambition.


Discover more from LN247

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Advertisement

Most Popular This Week

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts

Advertisement