Former Prince Andrew Arrested In UK Over Epstein Document Allegations

Prince Andrew, born Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, has been released from police custody after being arrested in the United Kingdom on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to his past association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The 66-year-old was questioned by detectives from Thames Valley Police throughout Thursday before being released pending further investigation.

Earlier this month, authorities confirmed they were examining claims that while serving as a UK trade envoy, he shared confidential government documents with Epstein. The inquiry gained momentum after U.S. officials released more than three million pages of files connected to Epstein.

According to reports contained in those documents, Mountbatten-Windsor allegedly forwarded official briefings in 2010 regarding visits to Vietnam, Singapore and other countries. One memo reportedly showed him seeking Epstein’s opinion on potential investment opportunities in Afghanistan’s Helmand province.

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Reacting to the arrest, Charles III said that “the law must take its course.”

Prime Minister Keir Starmer stated that Mountbatten-Windsor should cooperate with U.S. authorities investigating matters related to Epstein, adding, “No one is above the law.” The former royal has consistently denied any wrongdoing.

The development was welcomed by the family of Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre. In a statement to CBS News, her siblings said, “At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.”

Giuffre had alleged that she was trafficked by Epstein and forced to have sexual encounters with Mountbatten-Windsor on three occasions, twice when she was 17. She died by suicide last year at the age of 41. The former prince has repeatedly denied sexually abusing her.

Public anger in the UK intensified after her accusations and related court documents became public, ultimately leading to him being stripped of military affiliations and royal patronages. He later stepped back from public duties and agreed to vacate his residence on the Windsor estate.

In 2022, after Giuffre filed a civil lawsuit against him, Mountbatten-Windsor reached a multimillion-pound settlement without admitting liability.

Commenting on the arrest, Al Jazeera correspondent Milena Veselinovic described the move as unprecedented for a once-senior royal figure and said it represents “another blow to the branding of the monarchy.”

Political commentator Michael Walker of Novara Media called the situation “incredibly damaging” to both the monarchy and the wider British establishment, arguing that the royal family appeared reactive rather than proactive in distancing itself from the controversy.

The arrest follows a recent commitment by the royal household to cooperate fully with law enforcement authorities as the investigation continues.


Discover more from LN247

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Advertisement

Most Popular This Week

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts

Advertisement

Discover more from LN247

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading