Insecurity: Local Government Vice Chairman Abducted In Ekiti

The Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area, Hon. Chief Mrs. Grace Ogunleye, has reportedly been abducted by suspected gunmen in Ekiti State.

According to multiple reports, she was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning to Ido-Ekiti after attending an official engagement. Her vehicle was later found abandoned, and her phone was said to be switched off. Security agencies have reportedly begun rescue operations.

The incident has heightened concerns over insecurity in the area, especially after recent kidnappings and attacks in parts of Ilejemeje, including the abduction of church worshippers earlier this month.

Authorities in Ekiti have not yet announced any arrests or confirmed contact with the abductors as of Thursday.

Confirming the development in a statement, Director of Information and Civic Orientation for Ilejemeje local government, Falade Sunday, said security agencies had been alerted, and efforts were ongoing to rescue her.

Spokesman of the Ekiti State Police Command, Sunday Abutu, told journalists he would provide details later.

Meanwhile, an Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has sentenced two men to 25 years imprisonment each for kidnapping.

The convicts, Ibrahim Abubakar (44) and Abdullahi Abubakar (41), were arraigned alongside Usman Abubakar (49) and Abdulazeez Alebiosu (59), who died during the pendency of the case, on a three-count charge bordering on conspiracy, murder and kidnapping.

They were arraigned before Justice Lekan Ogunmoye on October 4, 2022, over offences allegedly committed between March and April 2022 at Off Federal Polytechnic Road, Ado Ekiti.

The prosecution said the defendants conspired to murder one Taiwo Adesina on March 9, 2022, and later kidnapped Omoboade Adesina on April 22, 2022, contrary to Sections 244, 234 and 279(1)(a) of the Criminal Laws of Ekiti State, 2021.

During the trial, the victim, who testified in court, said her husband, Taiwo Adesina, was attacked on his farm by gunmen. He was shot in the head while trying to escape and was rushed to Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

She further told the court that the kidnappers used her phone to demand a ransom of N10 million, but the family was only able to pay N3.25 million.

The prosecution, led by Kunle-Shina Adeyemo, called seven witnesses and tendered the defendants’ statements and MTN call logs as evidence. The defendants testified through their counsel but called no witnesses.

In his judgment, Justice Ogunmoye discharged and acquitted Usman Abubakar, noting that the victim did not implicate him in her testimony.

The judge found Ibrahim Abubakar and Abdullahi Abubakar guilty of kidnapping and sentenced each to 25 years imprisonment.


Discover more from LN247

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Advertisement

Most Popular This Week

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts

Advertisement