Monday, June 17, 2024

Sacked Osun Teachers Stage Protest In Osogbo

Some teachers employed by the immediate administration of Adegboyega Oyetola in Osun State staged a peaceful protest on Monday in Osogbo, asking Governor Ademola Adeleke to reconsider his decision to disengage them.

It would be recalled that about 1,500 teachers recruited into the service between September and October 2022 by the last administration, but sacked through an Executive Order by Adeleke, had written to the governor asking him not to disengage them alongside other workers recruited by Oyetola’s government.

The protesters, who converged on the Olaiya area, carried placards with various inscriptions and also urged relevant stakeholders in the affairs of the state to intervene.

Speaking on behalf of the protesters, Olufemi Adedeji said their recruitment followed due process and pleaded with Adeleke to return them to their duty posts.

He said, “I am one of the 1,500 newly recruited teachers for both primary and secondary schools in Osun. I was given an appointment letter on September 30, 2022, and the process for this recruitment began in the year 2020.

Senator Adeleke Wins Osun State Gubernatorial Election

Gov Oyetola Approves Gratuity Payment Of 1,887 Retired Teachers

“And immediately we were given appointment letters, and we all reported to our primary places of assignment.

 “We have been dutiful, patriotic citizens of this state, and upon resumption, we were gladly received by teachers, students, and the leadership of the Parents and Teachers Association.

“We worked for about four months with no reward for our work until the new government, under the leadership of Governor Ademola Adeleke, ordered a review of our appointment.

“Since then, we have made all efforts to call Mr Governor’s attention and plead for mercy. But we have not received any response from him.

“We are pleading with our Governor and all stakeholders and well-meaning citizens of the state to plead with him to reconsider us and give us a positive response. We are dying in silence.”

The spokesperson to the governor, Olawale Rasheed, could not be reached for comment as calls to him rang out, while a reply to a text message sent to him on the issue was still expected.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

For Advert Placements, Email: info@ln247.news

Latest Articles