N’korea Slams US Over Submarine Deal, Warns Countermeasures

North Korea has expressed criticism over U.S’s decision to provide nuclear-powered submarines to Australia and threatened unspecified countermeasures if it finds the deal affects its security.

0
70

North Korea has expressed criticism over U.S’s decision to provide nuclear-powered submarines to Australia and threatened unspecified countermeasures if it finds the deal affects its security.

State media on Monday published comments from an unidentified North Korean Foreign Ministry official who called the arrangement between U.S., Britain and Australia an “extremely” dangerous move that would destroy the security balance in the Asia-Pacific.

The official said the North was closely examining the deal and would proceed accordingly if it has “even a little adverse impact on the security of our country.”

Last week, President Joe Biden announced a new alliance including Australia and Britain that would deliver an Australian fleet of at least eight nuclear-powered submarines.

Biden has stressed the vessels would be conventionally armed.

But France denounced the move, accusing Australia of concealing its intentions to back out of a 90 billion Australian dollar contract with the French majority state-owned Naval Group to build 12 conventional diesel-electric submarines for Australia.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison blamed the switch on a deteriorating strategic environment in the Indo-Pacific, a clear reference to China’s massive military buildup that has been gaining pace.

Apparently alluding to the French complaints, the North Korean official said the United States was being accused of back-stabbing even by its allies.

The North believes the deal would destroy the “peace and stability of the region and the international nuclear non-proliferation system” and catalyze an arms race.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here