More than 20 people, including women and children, are feared dead following an attack on Aper Village in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
The incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, and has raised fresh concerns among residents, particularly as it is reportedly the third attack recorded in Mangu within the past week.
Local sources said several people were killed in the latest attack, while others are still reportedly missing. One person was also shot in an earlier attack in the area.
The Plateau State Police Command confirmed the incident but said the casualty figure was still being established.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Alfred Alabo, said the initial information received by the police indicated that 18 people had been affected.
According to him, however, the number is believed to have increased to more than 20 as information continues to come in from the affected community.
Alabo added that the Plateau State Commissioner of Police, Faniyan Ayodeji, alongside other senior officers, was heading to the scene to assess the situation and obtain a clearer picture of what happened.
The attack has intensified concerns over security in Mangu, with residents urging the government to strengthen security operations and take measures to prevent further attacks on vulnerable communities.
Authorities are expected to provide more details on the casualties and circumstances surrounding the incident as security personnel complete their assessment of the affected area.
Discover more from LN247
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

