Namibia has joined the ranks of countries who have expressed support for Saudi Arabia’s bid to host the 2030 World Expo.
Alfredo Tjiurimo Hengari, Namibia’s presidential press secretary, said the show of support was made to Ahmed bin Abdulaziz Qattan, the Saudi advisor at the Royal Court, who was currently on a visit to the southwest African nation.
The global event, which happens once every five years, is scheduled to begin on Oct. 1, 2030 and continue until April 1 the following year.
Hengari said that Namibia’s expression of support reflected the distinguished relations between the two countries. Qattan in return expressed the Saudi government’s appreciation for the latest vote of confidence as he cited the solid bilateral relations between the Kingdom and Namibia.
Saudi Arabia submitted its bid to host the World Expo 2030 in a letter sent by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the Bureau International des Expositions – the international organizing body for the global event since 1931 – in October last year.
Riyadh faces competition from Busan (South Korea), Rome (Italy) and Odesa (Ukraine).