The death toll in the escalating conflict between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon has surpassed 3,000, according to Lebanese health authorities, as renewed airstrikes and cross-border attacks continue despite a fragile U.S.-brokered ceasefire.
Lebanon’s Health Ministry said at least 3,020 people have been killed and more than 9,000 wounded since the latest round of fighting erupted in early March. Officials said the casualties include hundreds of women and children, though the figures do not distinguish between civilians and Hezbollah fighters.
The conflict intensified after regional tensions linked to the broader Iran-Israel confrontation spilled into Lebanon, reigniting hostilities between Israeli forces and the Iran-backed Hezbollah movement. Although a ceasefire first announced in April was recently extended for another 45 days through U.S.-mediated negotiations, violence has continued across southern Lebanon and border regions.
On Monday, Israeli airstrikes reportedly targeted areas near Baalbek and southern Lebanese villages, while Hezbollah claimed responsibility for fresh drone and missile attacks against Israeli military positions. Israeli officials said the operations were aimed at Hezbollah infrastructure and commanders believed to be planning attacks.
Lebanese authorities warned that the humanitarian situation is worsening rapidly, with more than one million people displaced by the fighting. Entire communities in southern Lebanon have been evacuated, while hospitals and emergency services are struggling under the growing pressure of casualties and damaged infrastructure.
The ongoing conflict has also complicated diplomatic efforts between Israel and Lebanon. Talks held in Washington last week focused on extending the ceasefire and preventing a wider regional war, but major disagreements remain over Hezbollah’s disarmament and Israel’s military presence in southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah has rejected calls to surrender its weapons, insisting that resistance against Israel will continue as long as Israeli forces remain active in Lebanese territory. Meanwhile, Israel says military operations are necessary to stop Hezbollah from rebuilding its capabilities near the border.
International organizations have expressed alarm over the mounting civilian toll and the risk of further escalation. The United Nations and several humanitarian agencies have urged both sides to fully respect the ceasefire agreement and allow greater access for aid operations in affected areas.
Discover more from LN247
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

