Makinde Confirms Abducted Teacher Killed In Oyo Attack

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed the killing of one of the teachers abducted during the attack on Ahoro Dada Community in Oriire Local Government Area, while assuring residents that efforts were ongoing to rescue the remaining victims.

The governor made the disclosure on Sunday after holding a security review meeting with security advisers and service commanders following the abduction of seven teachers and an unspecified number of pupils.

According to Makinde, information available to the government showed that one of the abducted teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the attackers.

“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Makinde said.

The governor expressed condolences to the family of the deceased teacher and sympathised with members of the tactical rescue team, including soldiers, Amotekun Corps operatives and local vigilantes, who encountered Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) allegedly planted by the abductors during rescue operations.

Makinde disclosed that some security operatives sustained injuries during the operation but were responding positively to treatment.

He assured that the state government would cover all medical expenses for the wounded personnel.

“We just finished a review of the security situation in the local government area where the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren took place.

“First, let me appeal to the affected families that their government is working round the clock to ensure that we tackle this challenge. For our troops and service commanders, we have a few wounded soldiers, hunters and other operatives. They are recovering.

“The government will continue to take responsibility for ensuring that they fully recover and that their medical bills are taken care of,” he said.

Makinde stated that the government had intensified rescue efforts using both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies to secure the release of the remaining abductees.

The governor also appealed for calm among residents, especially within Oriire Local Government Area and across Oyo State, stressing that authorities were committed to bringing the victims home safely.

“I want to appeal to all citizens and residents, particularly those in Oriire Local Government and across Oyo State, that we are doing everything within our power to resolve this situation quickly and bring our children back safely. However, we must recognise that this is a difficult and challenging situation,” he added.

Speaking further, Makinde revealed that tactical teams made up of police officers, soldiers, Amotekun operatives, hunters and other security personnel had been deployed to pursue the kidnappers.

He explained that one of the rescue teams encountered IEDs planted by the terrorists, leading to injuries among operatives.

Despite the setback, the governor said security agencies had made progress in the investigation, with several suspects already arrested.

“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them, we believe, are informants or individuals handling logistics for the terrorists. Also, three persons of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” Makinde said.

The governor further linked the rising security challenges in parts of the South-West to increased military pressure on terrorists and bandits operating in the North-West and North-East regions of the country.

“We must appreciate the fact that with the pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will keep moving southwards. The Governor of Kwara State has spoken to me, but the reality is that when pressure is mounted in one area, we must also be prepared here to repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing those pressure points,” he stated.

Makinde assured residents that his administration would continue strengthening security across the state, particularly around schools, factories and major roads.

He also promised that the government would provide regular updates on the ongoing rescue operations.


Discover more from LN247

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Advertisement

Most Popular This Week

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts

Advertisement