Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has reaffirmed his administration’s determination to secure the release of abducted students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area, declaring that the state will not surrender to terrorism or intimidation.
Speaking to journalists in Ibadan on Monday after a high-level security meeting with service commanders and security advisers, the governor insisted that the government would continue to pursue every lawful option to bring the victims home safely.
“We will not give in to terror. We will do everything possible to ensure that our children and their teachers are returned safely,” he stated.
Makinde added that the state government was prepared to engage where necessary in order to ensure the safe return of the victims.
“So, whatever it is they demand, we are ready to listen to them and address the ones we can address as a state government. But the children and their teachers must be released immediately,” he said.
The governor’s remarks followed Friday’s attack on schools in Ahoro Esinle Community in Oriire Local Government Area, where gunmen abducted students and teachers, sparking widespread concern across the state.
What The Oyo Government Is Doing
Governor Makinde explained that security agencies had intensified coordinated rescue operations, describing the situation as “fluid and difficult.”
He assured residents that the state government was working closely with security operatives to secure the release of those still in captivity.
The governor also appealed to residents to support ongoing rescue efforts by providing useful and timely intelligence to security agencies.
“If you see something strange, say something, and expect us to do something,” he said.
Makinde stressed that community cooperation remained vital in tackling insecurity and preventing further attacks.
Security Concerns And Community Responsibility
Reflecting on the country’s growing security challenges, the governor lamented what he described as the breakdown of communal values and shared responsibility among citizens.
“We once had a country where we were each other’s brother’s keeper. How did we descend to this point? These are not foreign people; it is us against ourselves,” he said, referencing renowned novelist Chinua Achebe.
He also urged the media and members of the public to handle reports surrounding the abduction responsibly.
“This is not something sensational. It involves lives,” Makinde said.
Surveillance Aircraft To Strengthen Security
As part of broader efforts to improve security across the state, the governor disclosed that Oyo State’s surveillance aircraft had arrived in Nigeria and was currently at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos for reassembly and installation.
According to him, the aircraft is expected to become operational before the end of June and will help improve aerial monitoring along the Oyo-Kwara border as well as the international boundary between Oyo State and the Republic of Benin.
Makinde noted that the surveillance initiative was already in progress before the recent abduction incident, explaining that it formed part of the government’s long-term strategy to strengthen the state’s security architecture.
Teachers Protest Abduction, Demand Action

Earlier on Monday, teachers in Ogbomoso staged a peaceful protest over the abduction and killing of one of their colleagues during the attack.
The protesters demanded stronger security measures in schools and called for the immediate rescue of those still being held captive.
Discover more from LN247
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

